Skip to navigation Skip to content

Zsolnay factory buildings, Pecs

RIBApix ref no RIBA105203
Artist/PhotographerTueskes, Anna
CountryHungary
CityPecs
Subject Date1893
Image Date2012
ViewExterior
StyleArt Nouveau
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceTueskes 1090532
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Anna Tueskes / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This is a collection buildings of the former Zsolnay porcelain factory, which made architectural ceramics, as well as domestic pieces. The factory pioneered the use of the eosin process, introduced in 1893, which gave a red irridescence to the porcelain, which became a favourite of Art Nouveau artists. Another process was pyrogranite, developed for ornamental outdoor ceramics by 1886. Fired at high temperature, this durable material was acid and frost-resistant making it suitable for use as roof tiles, indoor and outdoor decorative ceramics, and fireplaces and also used by architects such as Odon Lechner.

Subject tags

factories, museums, friezes