Future Leaders is a three-part programme, consisting of three individual half-day events at two-month intervals. It provides early career professionals with a comprehensive introduction to leadership through industry specific training. Sessions on key soft skills are delivered by experienced coaches, communications experts and thought leaders, while delegates also benefit from the invaluable applied knowledge and experience of some of the UK’s leading industry figures.
RIBA Future Leaders: Leading Teams - 16 May 2019
The second Future Leaders 2019 is devoted to leading teams, both internal and external project teams. The best outcomes are achieved when the team and organisational climate sustains motivation and engagement, and when all members of the wider project team collaborate towards shared goals. As a team leader, what structures do you need to put in place to help people succeed? How do you create a positive climate that contributes both to performance and your team’s wellbeing? How do you facilitate effective working with external teams more generally, and with your engineers in particular? Finally, in an increasingly international and diverse work place, it is imperative for a team leader to understand the underlying cultural differences in communication style and working relationships. Once you are aware you can adjust your style to improve the way you work together.
Gordon Mackenzie of Performance First is a highly regarded leadership and team specialist and Executive Coach. He has extensive experience of developing the leadership skills of young architects moving up the career ladder. He will introduce the latest thinking on team theory, explain how to enable and sustain performance, and guide delegates through a high-energy interactive communication exercise on giving effective feedback.
Speakers and coaches:
- Gordon Mackenzie, Founding Director, Performance First
- Kirsten Scott, Senior Partner, Foster and Partners
- Gerry O’Brien, Design Director, AKT II
- Susanna Lyddon, Farnham Castle Intercultural Training
- Motivating teams and sustaining performance (Gordon Mackenzie, Performance First)
- Leading teams in practice (Kirsten Scott, Foster and Partners)
- Managing performance (assertive communication exercise)
- Working well with international teams (Susanna Lyddon, Farnham Castle Intercultural Training)
- Leading projects (facilitated group discussion)
- Collaborating for better outcomes (Gerry O’Brien, AKT II)
Topics, skills and learning outcomes covered include:
- How to create a positive work climate and motivate teams
- How to enable and sustain performance
- Giving effective feedback
- Cultural patterns of communication and working relationships, and how to adjust your style
- How to facilitate effective working with external teams
- How to get the most out of working with engineers
14:00 Event starts
18:15 Event closes
18:15 Networking drinks at RIBA Bar, 66 Portland Place
This event is RIBA CPD Approved. It is worth 3.5 hours of structured CPD.
Save the dates
Tickets for the Future Leaders events can either be booked as single one-off events for 28 March, 16 May and 18 July, or as a block booking at a 30% discount if you book all three dates by 18 March 2019. Member block booking rates have been reduced by over 10% from last year.
Member single ticket: £100
Member block booking: £200
Non-member single ticket: £180
Non-member block booking: £360
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions about the programme or tickets.
Join now to get the member rate
RIBA Members receive up to a 50% discount off the cost of our professional events including Future Leaders and Guerrilla Tactics.To take advantage of this discount as well as the other RIBA Membership Benefits, join online here. For membership enquiries please email email@example.com
Please note, this event might be photographed.*
*The photos from the event will be included in a delegate resource pack and will also be used in the promotion of future events and by the RIBA for communications purposes. Should you wish not to be photographed, please notify staff on the day of the event at the registration desk and we will observe your request.
This event is kindly sponsored by Total Synergy.