How to advise your client on their CDM duties
Since the Health and Safety Executive’s CDM 2015 regulations came into effect, architects have been embracing the newly created Principal Designer role. This seminar will focus on issues faced by architects when advising clients in accordance with the CDM 2015 regulations.
This seminar will explore:
- Advantages and restrictions created by the flexibility that’s built into legislation
- Different models of delivery and helping clients understand the impact of their choices
- Actions and engagement required at different phases of a project to successfully deliver the role
- Effects of different procurement routes and contract vs. legislation
- Types of clients and client bodies and impacts of working for domestic clients
- Different industries and sectors
- Benefits of accepting CDM duties to your practice and to your clients
- The good the bad and the ugly: scenarios and wearing different hats!
By attending this seminar you will gain an understanding of when you should be the Principal Designer, whilst discussing the topic from a legal, ethical and moral perspective. You will understand your legal obligations as a PD and learn about effective engagement techniques to ensure clients understand the impact of their decisions.
James Addley, Capita
James leads Capita’s construction Health and Safety consultancy, which includes Principal Designer and related CDM services. With a background in architecture and as a specialist in CDM, he understands the issues design houses face on a daily basis and so provides clear, sensible guidance on best practice compliance.
James is an experienced practitioner, having worked on a wide variety of developments in a diverse range of sectors including many signature projects. In his career, James has also provided CDM CPD to design houses throughout the UK, both as part of his role with Capita and as a director and fellow of the Association for Project Safety
- RIBA/CIAT members £65 + VAT
- Non-RIBA members £92 + VAT
- RIBA student members £15 + VAT
Other booking options
For more information on other seminars in Core CPD 2018, and Club Ticket booking, saving £250 per year, go to Core CPD 2018.
Core Curriculum topics
1. Health, safety and well being
2. Legal, regulatory and statutory compliance