Ensuring safety through specification and detailing
Effective health and safety management is fundamental to the success of any project. This seminar will address safety through specification and detailing by focussing on the principles of the Designer responsibilities and the importance of drawings and specifications in the delivery of a project. Through a cradle-to-cradle approach to the project, the talk will cover subjects such as the ethics and understanding of delivering safe specification and detailing. The seminar will touch on material toxicity, the main statutory requirements of safe specification and how to ensure the design intent and its specifications are successfully delivered by the Contractor.
Design decisions made during the pre-construction phase have a significant influence in ensuring the project is delivered in a way that secures the health and safety of everyone affected by the work.
Touching on the pros and cons of safety at every stage of the process, the seminar will:
- Explore how BIM can assist in the delivery of safe design and specifications
- Review how specifications can help and support the architect when preparing or modifying designs
- Address problems related to eliminating foreseeable health and safety design risks associated with the materials and products specified
- Justify the use of certain materials
- Address problems linked to testing, workmanship and overall responsibilities
Providing a view of the CDM’s background, the current CDM regulations and how these will change, the seminar will present case studies and how the safe approach used at design stage can have an impact on the building when in use.
Paola Boffo, AECOM Specification Consulting
Paola is a RIBA architect and associate within AECOM Specifications Consulting (ASC). Currently responsible for the delivery of specifications for national and international architectural clients, she has over 20 years’ experience in all aspects of construction, from design concept through to construction completion, as well as various competencies such as conservation, retrofitting and health and safety. With the Specification Consulting team, she has worked on many landmark projects in the UK and abroad, including Battersea Power Station, Science Museum Medicine Gallery and Google HQ. Paola holds a laurea di dottore in Architettura from Florence University, Italy.
Core Curriculum topics
- Design, construction and technology
- Health, safety and well being
- Legal, regulatory and statutory compliance
- RIBA/CIAT members £46 + VAT
- Non-RIBA members £92 + VAT
- RIBA student members £15 + VAT
How to book
- Book online
- Email your contact details and selected seminars to email@example.com or your RIBA regional office
- Telephone the appropriate RIBA regional office
For more information on other seminars in Core CPD 2019, and Club Ticket booking, saving £160 per year, go to Core CPD 2019.