About the course
Be inspired by architecture at this week-long creative summer school. Develop a wide range of artistic skills with guidance from industry experts and gain unique access to the architectural collections held at RIBA and the British Library.
Led by visual artist Liam O’Connor, the course includes daily talks and show-and-tells by RIBA and British Library curators, tours exploring the architectural design of RIBA and British Library buildings, and off-site visits to explore inspiring architecture nearby. Get hands-on with practical creative experimentation including bookbinding, drawing, photography, architectural drawing and architectural model making. On the first day, design and bind your own sketchbook, and fill it with work throughout the week, to be displayed at a small celebration event on the Friday evening at RIBA.
Immerse yourself in creative practice with guidance from expert tutors and unparalleled access to historical collections and spaces, including the architectural design studios at RIBA.
RIBA Learning run a series of creative workshops and tours – see our upcoming programme.
What to expect
No previous experience is required to attend this course. Whether you are contemplating a career in architecture or art, are already studying/working in architecture or art, or just curious to develop your artistic skills and approach, this course will provide the opportunity to:
- Develop a range of practical artistic skills, including bookbinding, drawing, photography, architectural drawing and architectural model making
- Develop communication and critical and conceptual thinking skills, through the use of the sketchbook and daily group discussions
- Develop fresh perspectives on the built environment in London in order to understand how we occupy space
- Be introduced and gain an understanding of how to access and interpret the invaluable archives at both the RIBA and the British Library
- Have complimentary guided visits to British Library exhibitions Writing: Making Your Mark and Leonardo Da Vinci: A Mind in Motion
- Develop new connections with peers and experts from the RIBA and the British Library
- Gain tailored advice and support from a range of curators, practitioners and artist Liam O’Connor throughout the week
This course is a collaboration between the RIBA and the British Library.
This is for students and adults aged 18 and over.
RIBA Members and Friends should book at the Student rate.
We strive to ensure our events are accessible for wheelchair users. Occasionally our offsite visits may involve steps and uneven terrain; please contact us to discuss the route for specific tours and events.