Influencing the Building Safety Bill
The Building Safety Bill was a direct result of Dame Judith Hackitt’s independent review of building regulations and fire safety, commissioned after the 2017 Grenfell Tower tragedy.
The landmark Bill received Royal Assent and became law in April 2022. The Act represents a paradigm shift in the way in which residential buildings are to be designed, built, managed and regulated.
Five years in the making, the 262-page Act creates a new safety regime for the construction of residential buildings although the majority of its provisions will not come into effect for another 12 to 18 months, requiring secondary legislation.
Part of the Act includes proposed amendments to the Architects Act 1997, on which the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities has consulted. The RIBA responded to this consultation, shaped by responses from our members and the wider profession.
The RIBA worked closely with government and key stakeholders to influence the Bill at all stages. Read the articles below to find out more.
- RIBA fire safety policy note – February
- New best practice guidance published to support Building Safety Bill.
- Read our update on the regulatory changes expected in 2021, and how the RIBA is working to create a safer built environment.
- Read the summary of findings from our survey on the proposed amendments to the Architects Act 1997, which we used to shape our consultation response.
- Read our response to the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government’s consultation on proposed amendments to the Architects Act 1997, which builds on provisions in the Building Safety Bill.
- Read our response to the Housing, Communities and Local Government Select Committee's call for evidence on the draft Building Safety Bill.
- Read our response to the Housing, Communities and Local Government Select Committee report scrutinising the draft Building Safety Bill.
- Read our summary of the Housing, Communities and Local Government Select Committee's first evidence session on pre-legislative scrutiny of the draft Building Safety Bill.
- Read our initial response to the draft Building Safety Bill.
- Will the the Building Safety Bill make us safer?