Strategy and purpose
The RIBA is a global professional membership body driving excellence in architecture. We serve our members and society in order to deliver better buildings and places, stronger communities and a sustainable environment. Being inclusive, ethical, environmentally aware and collaborative underpins all that we do.
Strategy 2016 to 2020
Our primary focus has always been on our members and we will improve how we communicate, support, and engage our members, wherever they are located.
Advancing Architecture - our strategy for 2016 to 2020 - sets out our priorities to achieve this vision. We aim to:
- lead and support the highest professional and ethical standards
- attract and retain the best and most diverse talent
- provide access to education, knowledge and skills
- help our members engage with the challenges and opportunities of a changing world
- build a body of knowledge and facilitate collaboration, research and innovation in practice
Measuring success is a fundamental part of our strategy.
The yearly Performance Reports detail the activities that we committed to in that year, assigning the status of whether we achieved them, or that they are still ongoing.
The reports also pull out the highlights of the year in headline metrics.
- RIBA performance report 2020 (PDF 424 KB)
- RIBA performance report 2019 (PDF 325 KB)
- RIBA performance report 2018 (PDF 1.16 MB)
- RIBA performance report 2017 (PDF 293 KB)
- RIBA performance report 2016 (PDF 368 KB)
For the full picture, with financial information, of what we did each year, please refer to our Annual Reports.
Our Annual Report describes the year's highlights, achievements, and activities, and includes full financial information.
- RIBA Annual Report 2019 (PDF 8MB)
- RIBA Annual Report 2018 (PDF 5.80MB)
- RIBA Annual Report 2017 (PDF 5.80 MB)
- RIBA Annual Report 2016 (PDF 3.72 MB)
- RIBA Annual Report 2015 (PDF 1.11 MB)
- RIBA Annual Report 2014 (PDF 1.26 MB)
- RIBA Annual Report 2013 (PDF 4.42 MB)
- RIBA Annual Report 2012 (PDF 2.88 MB)
- RIBA Annual Report 2011 (PDF 3.87 MB)
- RIBA Annual Report 2010 (PDF 1.88MB)
Future of the profession
UK and Ireland architecture presidents commit to Five Principles.