McChesney Architect’s pavilion has an almost ethereal beauty, with its organic sculptural shape nestling into the historic setting of the park’s natural amphitheatre bowl.
Preston’s Avenham Park Pavilion is the focal point for the year-round outdoor events that take place in both Avenham and the adjacent Miller Park, which were laid out in the 1860’s by the noted Victorian landscape gardener Edward Milner.
The pavilion structure has a strong geometric design, which includes a complex zinc clad ‘saw tooth’ roof and extensive use of timber, aluminium and glass. The building provides a modern facility including a café, classroom, exhibition space, operational base for the park rangers and an intimate performance space to the outside.
- Civic Trust Award 2009
- RIBA Award 2010