Bradford 2025 has today announced the shortlist for a RIBA Competition that seeks to identify a design for an iconic travelling performance space.
‘Beacon’ will be a platform for performances, installations, and live events across the district during 2025, providing a venue where there may not ordinarily be a traditional space for artists, organisations and audiences to congregate.
Beacon is being developed so that sustainability is at its heart, it celebrates Bradford’s cultural heritage and it reflects the district’s diverse, cosmopolitan communities. The venue will facilitate and promote meaningful interchange between communities, enabling more households to access and engage with culture like never before.
The competition attracted international interest from Mexico, USA, India & Australia as well as UK & Europe. The judging panel, consisting of Bradford 2025 and RIBA representatives, were delighted by the level of thought and exciting collaborations demonstrated by all applicants at this early stage of the competition process.
Following evaluation of the Expression of Interest responses, a shortlist of five has been selected to take part in the design phase of the competition.
The shortlist is:
- APPARATA Architects with Arinjoy Sen and Structure Workshop
- Carter Gregson Gray with Structure Workshop, Studio 4215 & Studio Three Sixty
- GWP Architecture Ltd + FAUM Architecture with EMPACE and Bradford Moor Pass
- IF Design Office Ltd with Street Space Community CIC and Simple Works TLD
- New Practice with Common Wealth and Reeves & Bond
The shortlisted teams will present their concept design proposals to the evaluation panel in September 2023.