Hopkins Architects were selected as winners and the building was officially opened in 1994.
The head office comprises seven separate buildings in the form of courtyards and L-shaped blocks lined with trees which allows access to the city centre through the site. The main amenity building, with a dramatic fabric roof suspended from four masts, is featured in the middle of the other buildings. This is both the visual and social centre of the complex, containing a multi-purpose sports hall, bar and restaurant.
The Centre was a pioneering ‘Green’ project in the UK.
- IOC/IAKS Award: Exemplary Sports and Leisure Facilities (Silver Award)
- Civic Trust Awards: Energy Conservation Award
- The Concrete Society: Certificate of Excellence, Outstanding Structure
- Green Building of the Year Award: Highly Commended
- Brick Development Association: Brick Award, Best Commercial and Industrial Building
- International Prize for Textile Architecture