A joint eye care, research and education facility for Moorfields Eye Hospital, UCL Institute of Ophthalmology.
This project was a joint venture between:
- Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (Moorfields)
- University College London (UCL)
- Moorfields Eye Charity (MEC)
The partners proposed to plan, design, build and operate a new integrated care, education and research facility at a preferred site at St Pancras Hospital in London.
This presented a rare and complex design challenge for architects worldwide to secure a high-profile, global opportunity to produce a design for a new, state-of-the-art facility in an important regeneration and conservation area in the heart of London.
The shortlisted teams were:
- AECOM Ltd with White Arkitekter AB + Penoyre and Prasad
- Bennetts Associates with Reiach & Hall, Buro Happold Engineering & Gustafson Porter + Bowman
- Hopkins Architects with Arup, Todd Longstaffe-Gowan Ltd + Wolfgang Buttress
- Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners with Stantec, Arup, Gillespies, Speirs + Major & T Projects
- Ryder Architecture Ltd with Hawkins\Brown Architects, Spacehub Design Limited, Hoare Lea LLP, Rider Levett Bucknall UK Ltd + Ramboll UK Ltd
The winning team were identified as AECOM with Penoyre & Prasad and White Arkitekter.