A new joint eye care, research and education facility for Moorfields Eye Hospital, UCL Institute of Ophthalmology.
This is a joint venture between:
- Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (Moorfields)
- University College London (UCL)
- Moorfields Eye Charity (MEC)
The partners propose to plan, design, build and operate a new integrated care, education and research facility at a preferred site at St Pancras Hospital in London. The new facility will be flexible and modern, enabling them to bring together eye research, education and healthcare for the first time, while being focused on patients and attracting and retaining the best ophthalmic scientists, educators and clinicians.
This presents a rare and complex design challenge for architects worldwide to secure a high-profile, global opportunity to produce a design for a new, state-of-the-art facility in an important regeneration and conservation area in the heart of London.
The shortlisted teams are:
- AECOM Ltd with White Arkitekter AB + Penoyre and Prasad
- Bennetts Associates with Reiach & Hall, Buro Happold Engineering & Gustafson Porter + Bowman
- Hopkins Architects with Arup, Todd Longstaffe-Gowan Ltd + Wolfgang Buttress
- Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners with Stantec, Arup, Gillespies, Speirs + Major & T Projects
- Ryder Architecture Ltd with Hawkins\Brown Architects, Spacehub Design Limited, Hoare Lea LLP, Rider Levett Bucknall UK Ltd + Ramboll UK Ltd
“This marks an important and exciting stage of the project, as we can now start to visualise what this new, innovative and modern facility could look like. The joint partners were very pleased by the quality and innovation presented in the submissions of the shortlisted teams.”
Kieran McDaid, director of capital estates and major projects at Moorfields Eye Hospital