Developed by Foster and Partners, The Sage Gateshead is a local landmark and internationally renowned cultural centre that has played a key part in Tyneside's regeneration.
The South Bank of the River Tyne lay derelict until the late 1990’s when Gateshead Council took the visionary decision to develop this run down area and create a cultural zone along the Gateshead Quayside.
The Sage Gateshead is a regional music centre of international standing, which fills a 'gap on the map' for music venues in the North-East and has helped to position Tyneside as an arts destination.
Cllr Mick Henry, Leader of Gateshead Council said:
“The completion of this spectacular building is a major milestone in the area’s regeneration. The real beneficiaries of all this investment are the local communities as it brings far reaching cultural, economic and education benefits to Tyneside and the region as a whole.”
- RIBA Award 2005
- British Construction Industry Award - Local Authority Award
- British Construction Industry Award - Conservation
- Prime Minister's Better Public Building Award - Finalist 2005
- Civic Trust Award 2006
- RIBA Inclusive Design Award 2005
- Construction Excellence North East Award for the Mobile Acoustic Ceiling Panels
- ICE North Robert Stephenson Award for Concept and Design
- LABC Built in Quality Awards - Best Access/Disability Regulations Innovation
- LABC Built in Quality - Best Public/Community Project
- Retail & Leisure Property Awards - Best Public Sector funded Leisure Development
- Roses Design Award for Best Public Building
- The Journal Landmark Public Sector Award
- The Journal North East Landmark of the Year
- The Wood Awards - Winner Commercial & Public Access category