RIBA Norman Foster Scholarship
"As a student, I won a prize that allowed me to spend a summer travelling through Europe and to study first-hand buildings and cities that I knew only from the pages of books. It was a revelation – liberating and exhilarating in so many ways.
Today, it is the privilege of the Norman Foster Foundation to support the RIBA Norman Foster Travelling Scholarship, which I hope will have a lasting legacy – offering the chance for discovery and the inspiration for exciting new work – for generations to come." Lord Foster
The RIBA Norman Foster Travelling Scholarship offers £7,000 to a student of architecture who demonstrates the potential for outstanding achievement and original thinking on issues that relate to the sustainable survival of cities and towns.
In 2021, in response to the global restrictions on travel put in place to contain the spread of the COVID-19 virus, applications will be accepted for national research proposals as well as international research proposals. Therefore, students may submit a proposal for research on a topic in their home country or at (an) international location(s).
Both national and international research proposals should relate to the sustainable survival of our cities and towns and fall under one of the following themes:
- Learning from the past to inform the future
- The future of society
- Density of settlements
- Use of resources
- Quality of urban life
To be eligible to apply, students must be enrolled in, and have successfully completed at least the first year of a professional qualification in architecture from a school invited by the RIBA.
Each invited school can submit one application only for the scholarship from one of its current students, and each school chooses its own method of selecting its student.
How to apply
Applications for 2021 have now closed. We are currently processing applications and applicants will be notified of the outcome after the judging in June 2021.
The beginning of the period of travel for the successful applicant will be subject to the respective government’s confirmation that the travel specified may be safely undertaken. Prior to travel, the successful applicant will be required to complete a health risk assessment which meets the approval of the RIBA and the Norman Foster Foundation.
Previous RIBA Norman Foster Scholars:
- 2007: Ben Masterton-Smith - Bartlett School of Architecture (UCL), UK
- 2008: Faizan Jawed - Rizvi College of Architecture, Mumbai, India
- 2009: Amanda Rivera - Universidad del Bio Bio, Chile
- 2010: Andrew Mackintosh - Robert Gordon University, UK
- 2011: Sahil Bipin Deshpande - Rizvi College of Architecture, Mumbai, India
- 2012: Thomas Aquilina - Edinburgh School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, UK
- 2013: Sigita Burbulyte - Bath University, UK
- 2014: Joe Paxton - Bartlett School of Architecture (UCL), UK
- 2015: Charles Palmer - University of Sheffield, UK
- 2016: Abel Feleke - University of Western Australia, Australia
- 2017: Chloe Loader - University of Lincoln, UK
- 2018: Steven Hutt - University of Greenwich, UK
- 2019: Siti Nurafaf Ismail - University of Malaya, Malaysia
- 2020: Iulia Cistelecan – London School of Architecture, UK
Get in touch
If you have any questions about this scholarship or the application process, please email Gillian Harrison.