RIBA Student Support Fund
Throughout its history, and in the spirit of the founding principles enshrined in its charter, RIBA has always regarded the training of architects and the education of all individuals into the benefits of architecture as being at the core of its existence.
To show its commitment to excellence and talent in architectural education, for 185 years the institute has awarded scholarships and prizes to support and reward students and graduates at all levels of the professional training in architecture. For the past 25 years alone, RIBA has distributed nearly £2.5 million in bursaries and scholarships to Part 1 and Part 2 students, across its various funding schemes.
One of these funding schemes is the RIBA Student Support Fund, which provides bursaries for students enrolled in RIBA Part 1 and Part 2 courses in the UK who have experienced extraordinary or unforeseen events or expenditure which has significantly impacted their level of income.
Before applying for a RIBA Student Support Fund bursary, students must have explored all other forms of financial support available to them, i.e., they have applied for the full entitlement of government funding (tuition fee loan and maintenance loan/grant) as well as university funding schemes.
Students enrolled in RIBA Part 1 and Part 2 courses in the UK, including RIBA Level 6 and 7 Architectural Assistant Apprenticeships, are eligible to apply. In exceptional cases, funds may be allocated to students undertaking their Stage 1 Practical Experience.
Update for 2023
The RIBA Student Support Fund is currently not accepting applications. This is a temporary measure to allow us the time to review and improve our application and assessment procedures. Meanwhile, funds will be dispensed to eligible applicants from our other schemes.
If you are experiencing financial hardship, please seek advice from a student support or finance advisor at your university in the first instance.
Below are some useful links to alternative funding opportunities and support available to you:
- Turn2Us - helps people in financial need gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants, and other financial help
- Citizens Advice – for advice and support on benefits, debt, and help with the cost of living
- Shelter – for advice and guidance on housing
- Architects Benevolent Society (ABS) – for practical and effective support to those experiencing stress, anxiety, and anxiety-based depression
- National Union of Students – for advice and support on financial matters including student fees, and housing and living costs
- A guide to Student Finance (England) – for information on student finance, including loans, bursaries, scholarships, and grants. If you normally live in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland:
- Student Finance Wales
- Student Awards Agency for Scotland
- Student Finance Northern Ireland
Please contact Student Support for further advice at email@example.com.
The RIBA Student Support Fund is only able to make these grants due to the ongoing support and generosity of donors. You can support students and make a donation online.