13 buildings shortlisted for RIBA Awards in the South West 13 buildings shortlisted for RIBA Awards in the South West
RIBA South West has announced a shortlist of 13 new and exciting buildings for the RIBA Awards in the region.
Having shortlisted from 35 entries, over the coming weeks the RIBA judging panel will be visiting a range of innovative and high-quality buildings right across the South West; from a new hospital at Bristol, to a dogs and cats home in Gloucestershire, to a food production facility in Somerset, and a new gallery at St Ives.
Five new and reconfigured houses will be hoping to catch the judges eye for the RIBA House of the Year that is judged later in the year; and two housing developments at Bristol and Temple Cloud in Somerset are showing how RIBA architects can support better designed homes in the drive to increase numbers of new houses.
In addition to the prestigious RIBA South West Building of the Year Award, the shortlist will also produce a number of other category winners including Tobermore Client of the Year, Taylor Maxwell Project Architect of the Year, and the Geberit Sustainability Award. Eight projects are by new and established practices from the South West including Mitchell Eley Gould, James Grayley Architects, Emmett Russell, BDP, O’LearyGoss Architects, Orme Ltd, Gillespie Yunnie and Stan Bolt Architect.
The winners will be announced at an evening event at the Apex Hotel, Bath on 16 May hosted by Melissa Mean, Head of Arts at the Knowle West Media Centre, Bristol. Details of how to book tickets will be announced soon.
RIBA South West regional director Jon Watkins said ‘RIBA Awards always bring out the best in local and national architects across our vast region, and this year’s shortlist offers quality, diversity of type and scale, excellence in design, and lots of delight’.
RIBA South West Awards Shortlist
- The Gasworks, Gloucestershire (Chris Dyson Architects)
- Cotswold Dogs & Cats Home, Gloucestershire (Mitchell Eley Gould)
- Duncan Cottage, Bath (James Grayley Architects)
- Challender Court, Bristol (Emmett Russell Architects)
- Brunel Building, Southmead Hospital, Bristol (BDP)
- Clevedon Pier 2018, Clevedon (O’LearyGoss Architects)
- Temple Gardens, Somerset (Archio Ltd)
- Charlie Bigham’s Food Production Campus Phase 1, Somerset (Feilden Fowles)
- Mill Farm Barns, nr Glastonbury (Orme Ltd)
- Coastal House, Devon (6a Architects)
- Old Quay, Devon (Gillespie Yunnie Architects)
- New Tate St Ives (Jamie Fobert with Evans & Shalev)
- Pengwynver, Cornwall (Stan Bolt Architect)
To see images of all 13 shortlisted projects visit our Facebook page @ribasouthwest