RIBA Yorkshire Judging Panel Chair, Peter Cartwright, said:
“This year’s shortlist of potential RIBA award winners in Yorkshire covers a wide range of sectors with many schemes reinventing existing buildings rather than building new, which is great to see. We are very interested in the operation and performance of buildings, as opposed to purely how they look – their beauty must be more than skin deep. We believe awards should go to buildings which will continue to look good for years to come, taking into consideration their low carbon strategy and approach to whole life cost.”
The buildings that have been shortlisted are:
- Barrow House, North East Lincolnshire by ID Architecture
- Doncaster Enterprise Market by Bond Bryan
- Leeds Playhouse by Page\Park Architects
- Manor Ridge Barns, North Yorkshire by TAS Architects
- Nexus, Leeds by Associated Architects
- St Albans Place, Leeds by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- The Old School, North Yorkshire by ArkleBoyce Architects
- The Longhouse, Heslington York by Bramhall Blenkharn
- Thorney Barn, Calderdale by Gagarin Studio
- University of Huddersfield, Barbara Hepworth Building by AHR
- University of Sheffield, Engineering Heartspace by Bond Bryan
Due to ongoing public health concerns, judging for the 2020 RIBA UK Awards was postponed to 2021. The 2021 RIBA UK Awards (including Regional, National and the RIBA Stirling Prize) will be selected from the shortlist for the 2020 RIBA Regional, RSUA, RIAS, and RSAW Awards.
Regional Award winners will be considered for a highly coveted RIBA National Award in recognition of their architectural excellence. The shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize, the best new building of the year, will be drawn from the RIBA National Award-winning buildings and the Stirling Prize winner will be announced after this.
If you are a member of the press wanting more information on the RIBA Yorkshire Awards shortlist (including access to images) then please email firstname.lastname@example.org.