8 buildings win RIBA Awards in the South West
8 projects have won RIBA South West Awards from a shortlist of 13 projects and 35 overall entries, with Charlie Bigham’s Food Production Campus, Phase 01 by Feilden Fowles Architects winning the RIBA South West Building of the Year sponsored by Artifice Press.
The RIBA South West Client of the Year sponsored by Tobermore is North Bristol NHS Trust for the Brunel Building, Southmead Hospital, Bristol. The RIBA South West Project Architect of the Year sponsored by Taylor Maxwell is Kyle Buchanan of Archio for Temple Gardens; and the RIBA South West Sustainability Award sponsored by Geberit goes to Challender Court, by Emmett Russell Architects.
The RIBA South West Small Project of the Year is Duncan Cottage by James Grayley Architects; and the RIBA South West Conservation Award goes to Coastal House by 6a architects.
RIBA South West Award winners will be considered for a highly-coveted RIBA National Award, announced on 22 June. The shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize for the best building of the year will be drawn from the RIBA National Award-winning buildings later in the year.
Chair of the South West jury Jo Wright said ‘“Submissions for the RIBA Awards 2018 in the South West encompassed a huge range of scales and typologies, from single rooms to vast and complex buildings: The regional winners are differentiated by the quality and creativity which grows out of client ambition, architectural excellence and great delivery teams. These buildings are intelligent responses to brief and context, embracing every opportunity to deliver far more than the purely functional requirements of their briefs and to create buildings which will endure. It was a great privilege to visit so many wonderful examples of RIBA members’ contribution to the region’s built environment.”
RIBA South West regional director Jon Watkins said ‘RIBA Awards always bring out the best in local and national architects across the South West, and this year’s award-winning projects offer quality, diversity of type and scale, excellence in design, and lots and lots of pure delight’.
The winning projects can be viewed here.
The full list of RIBA South West Awards 2018 is:
RIBA South West Awards 2018
- Brunel Building, Southmead Hospital, Bristol; by BDP
- Challender Court, Bristol; by Emmett Russell Architects
- Charlie Bigham’s Food Production Campus, Phase 01, Wells; by Feilden Fowles
- Coastal House, Devon; by 6a architects
- Duncan Cottage, Bath; by James Grayley Architects
- New Tate St Ives, Cornwall; by Jamie Fobert Architects with Evans and Shalev
- Pengwynver, Cornwall; by Stan Bolt Architect
- Temple Gardens, Somerset; by Archio
- RIBA South West Building of the Year (sponsored by Artifice Press)
Charlie Bigham’s Food Production Campus, Phase 01, by Feilden Fowles
- RIBA South West Project Architect of the Year (sponsored by Taylor Maxwell)
Kyle Buchanan of Archio (for Temple Gardens)
- RIBA South West Client of the Year (sponsored by Tobermore)
North Bristol NHS Trust for Brunel Building, Southmead Hospital
- RIBA South West Sustainability Award (sponsored by Geberit)
Challender Court, by Emmett Russell Architects
- RIBA South West Small Project of the Year
Duncan Cottage, by James Grayley Architects
- RIBA South West Conservation Award
Coastal House, by 6a architects
- High resolution images can be downloaded here.
- Please note, all images must be fully credited.
- Full citations of all award-winning projects are also available
- RIBA Awards have been running continuously since 1966 and are judged and presented locally. No matter the shape, size, budget or location, RIBA award-winning schemes set the standard for great architecture all across the country. RIBA awards are for buildings in the UK by RIBA Chartered Architects and International Fellows.
- The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) champions better buildings, communities and the environment through architecture and our members. www.architecture.com.