Argent wins 2018 RIBA Client of the Year
The winner of the 2018 RIBA Client of the Year is the UK property development company, Argent. The RIBA’s annual award recognises the ‘key role that a good client plays in the creation of fine architecture’.
Since 1981, Argent has delivered some of the country’s most impressive mixed-use developments including residential, educational and cultural projects. They have been key to the regeneration of many UK cities, in particular Brindley Place in Birmingham and St Peter’s Square and the Northern Quarter in Manchester.
Argent have received this honour for their recent award-winning projects, most notably the regeneration work in London’s King’s Cross including R7 by Duggan Morris Architects, Gasholders by Wilkinson Eyre, Gasholder Park by Bell Philips Architects and Victoria Hall King’s Cross by Stanton Williams.
Chair of the RIBA Awards Group, architect Julia Barfield MBE, says,
"Argent are one of the most respected developers in the UK. Committed to delivering long-term change, they have transformed King’s Cross and regenerated cities across the country. As a client, they work closely and collaboratively with their architects, local stakeholders and communities. The results are an impressive portfolio of thriving, high-quality developments that illustrate their commitment to significant investment in building vibrant, inclusive pieces of city.”
Notes to editors:
- For further press information contact Elise Neve email@example.com +44 (0)20 7307 3761
- View and download images of Argent LLP projects.
- Nominations by Allies Morrison, Wilkinson Eyre and Stanton Williams.
- Stanton Williams nomination summary: “What Argent, with the Kings Cross Central Limited Partnership, has managed to achieve is something special - the creation of a real piece of urbanism that is greater than the sum of its parts. Argent’s long-term view and commitment to governance has given Kings Cross an over-arching identity and vibrancy that is not easy to achieve in major new-build developments. The enthusiasm with which the local community has adopted these spaces is testament to successful city making.”
- The 2018 Prize was judged by Tom Jarman from Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios and RIBA Awards Group Chair, Julia Barfield.
- Previous winners of RIBA Client of the Year award include Bedales School for their Art and Design Building (2017), Westmorland Ltd (2016), National Theatre (2015), Manchester Metropolitan University (2014), the National Trust (2013), Olympic Delivery Authority (2012) and The Royal Shakespeare Company (2011).
- The Architects’ Journal is media partner for the RIBA awards, including RIBA Client of the Year. For more information visit www.architectsjournal.co.uk
- The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) is a global professional membership body that serves its members and society in order to deliver better buildings and places, stronger communities and a sustainable environment. www.architecture.com. Follow us on Twitter for regular RIBA updates www.twitter.com/RIBA