Fourteen buildings shortlisted for RIBA South West Awards 2019
A theatre, a boat house, a school, a burial ground and a pub are amongst the fourteen buildings shortlisted for the RIBA Awards in the South West of England from 48 entries in 2019.
Six new and reconfigured houses including The Green House in Devon will be hoping to catch the judges eye for the RIBA House of the Year judged later in the year; and a later living development at Tetbury highlights how RIBA architects are creating better places for people to live.
Six projects are by new and established practices with bases in the South West including Stonewood Design, Western Design Architects, Jonathan Rhind Architects, New British Design, David Sheppard Architects and AHR.
The buildings in the running for RIBA South West Awards 2019 are:
- Knapp Barns, Gloucestershire by Patrick Lewis Architects
- Steepleton, Tetbury by Proctor and Matthews Architects
- Bristol Old Vic, by Haworth Tompkins
- Kingswood Preparatory School and Nursery, Bath by Stonewood Design
- Dancy House, Marlborough by Allies and Morrison
- Harbour View Burial Ground, by Western Design Architects
- The Secular Retreat, Devon by Atelier Peter Zumthor (executive architects: Mole Architects)
- Berberis Boat House, Devon by Wimshurst Pelleriti
- Trenoweth House, Camborne by Groupwork
- Farmers Arms, Woolsery, Devon by Jonathan Rhind Architects
- Stealth House, Devon by Guy Greenfield Architects
- Batelease Farm, Devon by New British Design
- The Green House, Devon by David Sheppard Architects
- UKHO Headquarters by AHR
All shortlisted buildings will now be assessed by a regional jury with the winning buildings announced at an awards ceremony on 29 May at Bristol.
If successful, the Regional Award winners will be considered for a highly-coveted RIBA National Award in recognition of their architectural excellence, the results of which will be announced in June. The shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize, the best new building of the year, will be drawn from the RIBA National Award-winning buildings in July and the Stirling Prize winner will be announced in October.