International Ethics Standards published
The International Ethics Standards (IES) Coalition, of which RIBA is a founding member, has today (7 December 2016) published the first set of universal ethics principles for professionals working in land, property, construction, infrastructure and related professions.
The coalition of more than 100 property professional bodies worldwide believes that creating a universally applicable set of values will help assert the role of ethics and help ensure greater professionalism.
RIBA Vice President International and Ambassador for Ethics, Peter Oborn, said:
“As a founding member of the International Ethics Standards Coalition, the RIBA is delighted to support the launch of the first International Ethics Standards. One coherent over-arching set of global ethical principles brings much needed clarity to assure and safeguard the interests of clients and the public. I encourage all RIBA members to read these standards and disseminate them through their own networks.”
Peter Bolton King, Chair of the International Ethics Standard Coalition, said:
“Ethical values act as an anchor to appropriate behaviours and research tells us that investment in real estate markets by pension funds and sovereign wealth funds is predicted to double over the next decade. Therefore, publishing one set of International Ethics Standards helps to underpin existing codes of ethics and create an opportunity to strengthen the role these values play in the property industry.”
The International Ethics Standards can be downloaded from www.ies-coalition.org/standards
Notes to editors:
- For further press information contact Melanie Mayfield, RIBA Press Office firstname.lastname@example.org
- The International Ethics Standards aligns the ethics principles set out in many codes of conduct published by Coalition organisations. The Coalition first met at the United Nations in 2014.
- The new standard has been written by a group of independent industry leaders and international ethics and compliance experts appointed by Trustees of the IES Coalition. Included in the group are prominent real estate representatives from Russia, China, France, the USA, Germany, Brazil, Japan, Malaysia, Canada and the UK.
- The IES Coalition held a three month global public consultation to ensure that the final version is high quality, understood and accepted by all participating organisations, practitioners and their clients.
- The Royal Institute of British Architects (@RIBA) is a global professional membership body that serves its members and society in order to deliver better buildings and places, stronger communities and a sustainable environment. www.architecture.com @RIBA