Nine buildings shortlisted for the 2018 RIBA North West Awards
Liverpool’s Royal Court theatre, Maggie’s Oldham support centre and the restored Storyhouse cinema and theatre are just three of the nine buildings which have been shortlisted for this year’s RIBA North West Awards.
The shortlisted buildings span a range of locations, uses and sizes, with a significant number of North West based practices involved in their design and delivery.
Regional Director, Andrew Ruffler, was proud to announce the selection in what was another highly competitive process. He said that once again ‘the bar in the North West has been raised’ and that each shortlisted building have ‘elements that elevate them above the ordinary.’
The buildings in the running for RIBA North West Awards 2018 are:
- 101 Embankment, Manchester by Flanagan Lawrence
- Bright Building, Manchester by BDP
- Liverpool’s Royal Court, Liverpool by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
- Maggie’s Oldham, Oldham by dRMM Architects
- Storyhouse, Chester by Bennetts Associates with Ellis Williams
- Timekeepers Square, Salford by Buttress
- University of Manchester Schuster Annexe Building, Manchester by Hawkins\Brown
- Walk the Plank, Salford by Architectural Emporium
- XYZ, Manchester by Cartwright Pickard
All shortlisted buildings will now be assessed by a regional jury with the winning buildings announced at an awards ceremony at One Fine Day, Liverpool on 16th May 2018.
If successful, the Regional Award winners will be considered for a highly-coveted RIBA National Award in recognition of their architectural excellence, the results of which will be announced in June. The shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize, the best new building of the year, will be drawn from the RIBA National Award-winning buildings in July and the Stirling Prize winner will be announced in October.