Nine buildings, ranging from a faculty building to a repurposed 19th century barn, have been shortlisted for 2023 RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) West Midlands Awards.
The shortlisted projects are:
- Brick House by Glen Howells Architects
- Cruck Framed House by Flint Architecture with Arrol Architects
- Hidden House by Hall + Bednarczyk Architects Ltd
- Houlton School by van Heyningen and Haward Architects
- STEAMhouse by Aukett Swanke
- The University of Birmingham Exchange by Make Architects and Glancy Nicholls Architects
- Two Chamberlain Square by Glenn Howells Architects
- University of Warwick Faculty of Arts by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- University of Wolverhampton School of Architecture and the Built Environment by Associated Architects with Rodney Melville and Partners
RIBA West Midlands Jury Chair Will Gamble, Architect at Will Gamble Architects, said:
"This year’s shortlist celebrates the rich tapestry of architecture that is found within the West Midlands, in both rural and urban settings. There is a strong emphasis on responding to our historic environment through adaptive reuse and sensitive contextual design. Each project demonstrates how low carbon technologies can be successfully integrated into well crafted buildings - raising the benchmark for holistic design.”
All shortlisted projects will be assessed by a regional jury, and the winning projects will be announced later this Spring.
Regional Award winners are considered for several RIBA Special Awards including the RIBA Sustainability Award and the RIBA Building of the Year.
Regional Award winners will also be considered for a highly coveted RIBA National Award in recognition of their architectural excellence, the results of which will be announced in the Summer.
The shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize for the best building of the year in the UK will then be drawn from the RIBA National Award-winning projects, and the Stirling Prize winner will be announced in October.
If you are a member of the press seeking more information on the RIBA West Midlands Awards shortlist (including access to images) please email Eleanor Finlay.