Patrick Schumacher RIBA Smart Practice keynote
Patrik Schumacher, Partner of Zaha Hadid Architects (ZHA), is to deliver the keynote at the RIBA Smart Practice Conference in Nottingham on 22 September 2016, providing invaluable insights into the globally renowned practice. How is ZHA organised internally to optimise on potential business worldwide? How does it keep ahead of technology? How does it uniquely position itself as a premier design office by investing in a rich research culture with a dedicated internal research unit and established links to academia internationally?
A Partner at ZHA since 2002, Schumacher has been part of the practice for 28 years. He is responsible for founding DRL (Design Research Laboratory) at the Architectural Association School of Architecture. He has held professorships at Innsbruck University, University of Applied Arts in Vienna and Harvard University. He the author of several significant publications, including most recently Parametricism 2.0: Rethinking Architecture’s Agenda for the 21st Century (Architectural Design, March 2016). With the sudden loss of Zaha Hadid in March, Schumacher is the remaining Partner at ZHA. Supported by its directors, Schumacher is tasked with taking the 400-strong practice forward.
This year’s RIBA Smart Practice Conference, ‘Future Forward’, accents how an innovative approach to business-thinking, new technologies and research can propel practices forward. Sessions are organised around current business drivers, longstanding research and technology, drawing from a range of exciting speakers that encompass big names and emerging offices. Speakers include: Mark Burry of the University of Melbourne, celebrated for his work overseeing the completion of Gaudí’s Sagrada Família in Barcelona; Xavier de Kestelier, co-Head of the Specialist Modelling Group at Foster + Partners; David Green, Principal at Perkins + Will and CEO of AREA Research; Josef Hargrave of Global Foresight Manager at Arup; Rob Jackson, Associate Director at Bond Bryan Digital; and Deborah Saunt, Founding Director at DSDHA.
The conference will be opened by RIBA President Jane Duncan.
- Early bird rate tickets for Future Forward: Smart Practice Conference go on sale online on 2 June: www.architecture.com/FutureForward
- The conference is to take place at the Nottingham Conference Centre in the city centre, 10am to 5pm with drinks at Nottingham Contemporary until 7pm
Notes to editors:
- For further information contact Howard Crosskey firstname.lastname@example.org +44 (0)20 7307 3761
- A limited number of free tickets will be made available for the media to attend.
- Patrik Schumacher will be available for interview at the conference.
- For further information and tickets visit: www.architecture.com/FutureForward
- The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) champions better buildings, communities and the environment through architecture and our members www.architecture.com
- Follow us on Twitter for regular RIBA updates www.twitter.com/RIBA