RIBA announces open call 2017
- Successful proposals will be built at 66 Portland Place and RIBA North , 3 July to 14 September 2017
- Selected submissions to be exhibited during London Festival of Architecture (1-30 June)
- Installations in London will be launched with a RIBA Late event to take place on Monday 3 July
RIBA members, and for the first time non-members, are invited to submit designs for the Royal Institute of British Architects’ (RIBA) summer, site-specific architectural installations, ‘Beyond Borders’. Entries open today (Thursday 30 March) until 28 April 2017.
During summer 2017, the RIBA will give RIBA chartered architects, practices, architecture students and non-members, an opportunity to display their ideas and work across the UK, at RIBA’s architecture centres in both London and Liverpool.
Architecture as a discourse has historically been an international discipline operating beyond and between borders. Responding to this year’s theme, ‘Beyond Borders’, RIBA will exhibit projects that rethink the thresholds that divide nations, communities and families and consider the possibilities of our shared boundaries on global, local and domestic scales. Prospective submissions can represent new ways to communicate and experience the international, inclusive and outward-looking ways that architecture helps shape and unite the world around us.
RIBA Head of Exhibitions & Interpretation, Marie Bak Mortensen said:
“I’m delighted to present this exciting brief to architects that will give them an opportunity to develop and express their ideas. RIBA will be looking for original projects, but there are no formal requirements to how the theme of ‘Beyond Borders’ is interpreted and we encourage practices to approach the brief with an open-mind and inquisitive outlook. Last year more than 25,000 visitors engaged with our installations and exhibitions and we hope to build on this success by reaching out to new communities in Liverpool this year.”
Up to four successful entrants will be invited to construct their project at a 1:1 scale for installation at RIBA in London and the newly opening RIBA North architecture centre in Liverpool.
Practices selected to build 1:1 structures will be working with the RIBA Young People’s Forum to develop and build the 1:1 installations. The Forum is an integral part of the process and comprises many talented architecture students.
Selected submissions that are not built at 1:1 will be featured in an exhibition as part of London Festival of Architecture in June.
The selection panel includes:
- Chris Bryant, Director, Alma-nac and Chair, RIBA Small Practice Group
- Suzy Jones, Director RIBA North
- Marie Bak Mortensen, Head of Exhibitions & Interpretation, RIBA
- Rachael Davidson, Associate Director, HÛT Architecture
- Deadline for submissions: 28 April 2017, 5pm
- Shortlist exhibition, London: June 2017
- Winning entries (1:1s) opening at RIBA: 3 July to 14 September 2017
Download the ‘Beyond Borders’ brief here: architecture.com/beyondborders
Notes to editors:
- If you are a member of the press requiring further information contact:
RIBA Press Office
020 7307 5533
- Further information about the open call and eligibility criteria is available here: architecture.com/beyondborders or email: email@example.com
- The RIBA is a registered charity and it relies on the generosity of individuals, companies, trusts and foundations to preserve its world-class collections, to maintain free public access to its exhibitions and develop a diverse and exciting public events programme
- Architecture Open is sponsored by Cosentino.