In November, the RIBA hosted a series of Powered by RIBA Cityscape Intelligence Talks as architecture partner at Cityscape's Real Estate Summit 2020 that took place in Dubai World Trade Center, United Arab Emirates.
The event was attended physically by professionals ranging from developers and investors to architects, designers, financiers and consultants as they reinforce the “back to business” sentiment for the architecture, real estate and engineering community in the region. This event is a part of the Hello Gulf campaign.
Powered by RIBA Cityscape Intelligence, the talks addressed regionally and globally relevant topics such as Architecture Focus: How COVID-19 will change our cities.
This talk looked at how cities, investors and the real estate industry can mitigate risks, what the road to recovery looks like for the real estate industry, how we can learn from challenges, how the pandemic has changed the industry, and what the future of real estate looks like moving forward.
The speakers for the two talks were as follows.
Architecture focus: How COVID-19 will change our cities
- Sumaya Dabbagh — Founder, Dabbagh Architects
- Alida Bata — Professor of Architecture, Heriot-Watt University
- Andy Shaw RIBA — Chair of RIBA Gulf Chapter and Managing Partner of AMA, Dubai
Repurposing: A design perspective
- Joe Tabet — Managing Director, JT + Partners
- Marwan Fouad — Proposals Manager, PhD Candidate, APG
- Firas Hnoosh RIBA — Managing Director, Nordic Office Architects
RIBA Chief Executive Alan Vallance gave an overview of 2020 and its impact on the RIBA as an organisation and the broader community through an online presentation.