RIBA North East Awards 2016 winners
Five North East buildings won RIBA North East Awards (sponsored by Sika, Tarmac Ltd and Marley Eternit) from the Royal Institute of British Architects at a prestigious awards ceremony held at As You Like It, last night (22 April 2016), in recognition of their architectural excellence. The event was hosted by Ian Wylie publisher and editor of The Northern Correspondent.
The winning buildings are:
- Ashington Community and Leisure Centre by Ryder Architecture
- Crook Hall Visitor Centre by Elliott Architects
- Edge Hill by Sutherland Hussey Harris
- Hebburn Central by FaulknerBrowns Architects
- The Paise by Newton Architects
Speaking today Grace Choi, RIBA North East awards Jury Chair, said:
"There have been such a broad spectrum of entries to this year's RIBA North East awards 2016. It was a delight for the judges to visit a variety of buildings, from significant regeneration projects, community/leisure centres, serviced office spaces and luxury private houses to a delicate glass house and intimate cafe. There is no doubt that the region is producing exemplary architecture from both well-established practices and new emerging talent."
Further Special Awards were presented :
- RIBA North East Small Project Award 2016: Crook Hall Visitor Centre
- RIBA North East Sustainability Award 2016 sponsored by Sika: The Paise
- RIBA North East Client of the Year Award 2016: private client (Edge Hill)
- RIBA North East Project Architect of the Year 2016 sponsored by Tarmac Ltd: Liam Newton (The Paise)
- RIBA North East Building of the Year 2016 sponsored by Marley Eternit: Edge Hill
RIBA North East Award winners will also be considered for a highly-coveted RIBA National Award in recognition of their architectural excellence, which will be announced on Wednesday 6 July 2016. The shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize for the best building of the year will be drawn from the RIBA National Award-winning buildings later in the year.
Notes to editors:
- For further information, including access to press images and judges' citations, contact Amanda Khan 0191 2617441 or 07725996683 email@example.com
- RIBA Awards have been running continuously since 1966 and are judged and presented locally. No matter the shape, size, budget or location, RIBA award winning schemes set the standard for great architecture all across the country. RIBA awards are for buildings in the UK by RIBA Chartered Architects and RIBA International Fellows.
- The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) champions better buildings, communities and the environment through architecture and our members. www.architecture.com