Five North East buildings win 2017 architecture awards Five North East buildings win 2017 architecture awards
Five North East buildings won RIBA North East Awards from the Royal Institute of British Architects at a prestigious awards ceremony held at The Biscuit Room at The Biscuit Factory last night (Friday 19 May 2017), in recognition of their architectural excellence. The event was hosted by Tim Bailey RIBA North East Regional Chair – xsite architecture LLP.
The winning buildings are:
- Live Works – Flanagan Lawrence
- Ogden Centre for Fundamental Physics, Durham University – Studio Libeskind
- Shawm House – MawsonKerr Architects
- The Malings – Ash Sakula Architects
- The Word – FaulknerBrowns Architects
Speaking today Paul Rigby, RIBA North East awards Jury Chair, said ‘The breadth of typology and high quality of this year’s projects are a palpable demonstration of the desire in the north to deliver buildings and spaces of the highest quality at all scales. There is no doubt that the winning projects will have a positive impact on people’s lives.’
Further Special Awards were presented to:
- Shawm House - RIBA North East Small Project Award 2017
- Shawm House – RIBA North East Sustainability Award 2017 (sponsored by Geberit )
- Live Theatre (Live Works) – RIBA North East Client of the Year Award 2017 (sponsored by Tobermore)
- Dan Kerr (Shawm House) - RIBA North East Project Architect of the Year 2017 (Sponsored by Taylor Maxwell)
- The Word - RIBA North East Conservation Award 2017
- The Word – RIBA North East Building of the Year 2017 (sponsored by Marley Eternit)
RIBA North East Award winners will also be considered for a highly-coveted RIBA National Award in recognition of their architectural excellence, which will be announced on Thursday 22 June 2017. The shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize for the best building of the year will be drawn from the RIBA National Award-winning buildings later in the year.
Notes to editors:
- Press contact:
Amanda Khan | email@example.com | 0191 2617441
- RIBA North East 2017 Award-winners are:
Live Works – Flanagan Lawrence
Ogden Centre for Fundamental Physics, Durham University – Studio Libeskind
Shawm House – MawsonKerr Architects
The Malings – Ash Sakula Architects
The Word – FaulknerBrowns Architects
- The RIBA North East Special Awards are sponsored by Geberit, Taylor Maxwell, Tobermore and Marley Eternit. Microsoft is the RIBA Awards Exclusive Technology Partner.
- RIBA Awards have been running continuously since 1966 and are judged and presented locally. No matter the shape, size, budget or location, RIBA award winning schemes set the standard for great architecture all across the country. RIBA awards are for buildings in the UK by RIBA Chartered Architects and RIBA International Fellows.