RIBA South West Awards 2016 shortlist
RIBA South West today (2 March 2016) announced a shortlist of sixteen new and exciting buildings for the RIBA Awards in the region.
Having shortlisted from forty nine entries, over the coming weeks the RIBA judging panel will be visiting a range of high quality buildings right across the South West; from the UK’s newest motorway services at Gloucester to the Plymouth School of Creative Arts, and a trio of buildings at Arts University Bournemouth.
As well as the prestigious Building of the Year Award, which in 2015 was picked up by South Quay Hayle in Cornwall, the shortlist will also produce a number of other category winners including Client of the Year and Project Architect of the Year. Five projects are by practices from the South West including young RIBA Chartered Practice Hilton Barnfield from Exeter, as well as established Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios and Mitchell Eley Gould from Bath, and Cornwall’s Arco2 Architecture.
The winners will be announced at an evening event on the Grand Pier at Weston-super-Mare on 29 April hosted by Michael Holmes, Content Director for Centaur Media, TV presenter and chair of the National Custom and Self-build Association.
RIBA South West Regional Director, Jon Watkins, said:
"RIBA Awards always bring out the best in local and national architects across our vast region, and this year’s shortlist offers quality, diversity of type and scale, excellence in design, and lots of delight."
Notes to editors:
- For further information and access to press images, contact Jon Watkins, RIBA South West, 07501 466649
- RIBA South West Awards shortlist:
- Bristol Life Sciences, University of Bristol by Sheppard Robson
- Plymouth School of Creative Arts, by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- Kingswood Classrooms, Bath by Mitchell Eley Gould
- The Outside In House, Exeter by Hilton Barnfield Architects
- The Owers House, Cornwall by John Pardey Architects
- Drawing Studio, Arts University Bournemouth by CRAB Studio
- Photography Building, Arts University Bournemouth by Design Engine Architects
- Student Services Building, Arts University Bournemouth by Design Engine Architects
- Beaudesert Park School Performing Arts Centre, Gloucestershire by MEB Design Ltd
- Bridport Household Recycling Centre, Dorset by Mitchell Eley Gould
- Ansty Plum, Dorset by Coppin Dockray
- Gloucester Services by Glenn Howells Architects
- Outhouse, Gloucestershire by Loyn & Co.
- Blackrock Quarry Training Centre, near Bristol, by Haverstock
- Hanham Hall, Bristol by HTA Design LLP
- Sand Dunes, Newquay by Arco2 Architecture Ltd
- The RIBA Awards have been running continuously since 1966 and are judged and presented locally. No matter the shape, size, budget or location, RIBA award-winning schemes set the standard for great architecture all across the country. RIBA awards are for buildings in the UK by RIBA Chartered Architects and International Fellows.
- The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) champions better buildings, communities and the environment through architecture and our members. www.architecture.com