This year's fifteen shortlisted projects include a barn house, a grand conservatory, a bank and a converted co-operative.
The buildings that have been shortlisted for The RIBA West Midlands Awards 2019 are:
- Barn House, Herefordshire, Stolon Studio
- Beech Gardens, Ludlow, K4 Architects
- Caudwell International Children’s Centre, Newcastle-under-Lyme, C4 Projects
- Collaborative Teaching Laboratory, University of Birmingham, Sheppard Robson
- Grand Garden Conservatory - Alton Towers Resort, Staffordshire, ctd architects
- Ingenuity House - Interserve UK Hub, Birmingham, Sheppard Robson
- Middle Hunt House Bridge, Herefordshire, Michael Crowley Architect
- One Centenary Square, Birmingham, Make Architects
- Squirrel Works, Birmingham, Sjolander da Cruz Architects
- The Co-Operative, Coventry, Corstorphine + Wright
- The Ghost House, Stratford-Upon-Avon, BPN Architects
- The Press Shop, Birmingham, BPN Architects
- Warwickshire Farmhouse, South Warwickshire, Hayward Smart Architects
- Waterfall House - Birmingham Children's Hospital, Birmingham, BDP Ltd
- Wrekin College Business School, Telford, Baart Harries Newall
RIBA West Midlands Regional Director, Deborah Walsh, welcomed the news:
“I am delighted that these fifteen buildings have been shortlisted for our 2019 Awards, and I congratulate the architects, clients and contractors who worked to produce such remarkable schemes. This incredible variety of projects are a testament to the imagination, talent, innovation and ingenuity not just of the architects but all those involved. They demonstrate the vision of the West Midlands to respond to today’s challenges and design for the future, whilst where appropriate, respecting the past.”
All shortlisted buildings will now be assessed by a regional jury, with the winning buildings announced at an awards ceremony on Friday 17 May at The Royal Birmingham Conservatoire.
If successful, the Regional Award winners will be considered for a highly-coveted RIBA National Award in recognition of their architectural excellence, the results of which will be announced in June. The shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize, the best new building of the year, will be drawn from the RIBA National Award-winning buildings in July and the Stirling Prize winner will be announced in October.
If you are a member of the press wanting more information on the RIBA West Midlands Awards shortlist (including access to images) then please email Deborah.Walsh@riba.org.
The Regional Special Award Sponsors include: