Sixteen buildings, ranging from a yoga centre to a theatre have been shortlisted for 2023 RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) South Awards.
The shortlisted projects are:
- Black House Farm by Robin Lee Architecture,
- Claywood House by Ayre Chamberlain Gaunt
- Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin Building by Hawkins\Brown
- Eton Sports & Aquatics Centre by Hopkins Architects
- Eynsham Village Houses by Chance de Silva and Mike Nightingale
- FarmED by Timothy Tasker Architects Ltd
- Hampshire Water Mill by Kaner Olette Architects & Malcolm Fryer Architects
- Horris Hill School Theatre by Jonathan Tuckey Design
- Island House by Miya Ushida Architects
- March House by Knox Bhavan Architects
- Quatrefoil House by Hyde + Hyde Architects
- Radley College Chapel Extension by Purcell Architecture Limited (Purcell)
- Saltmarsh House by Niall McLaughlin Architects
- St Hilda's College by Gort Scott
- Vishuddha Yoga Centre by Adrian James Architects
- Winchester Sport and Leisure Park by LA architects Ltd with Stride Treglown
RIBA South Jury Chair Stuart Eatock, Managing Director at ECE Architecture, said:
“The quality of projects in the South Region this year is as high as ever. Be it sensitive conservation or modern intervention, all the projects demonstrate skill, passion and determination, and have resulted in a range of beautiful new buildings and spaces that are truly unique to their environment.”
All shortlisted projects will be assessed by a regional jury, and the winning projects will be announced later this Spring.
Regional Award winners are considered for several RIBA Special Awards including the RIBA Sustainability Award and the RIBA Building of the Year.
Regional Award winners will also be considered for a highly coveted RIBA National Award in recognition of their architectural excellence, the results of which will be announced in the Summer.
The shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize for the best building of the year in the UK will then be drawn from the RIBA National Award-winning projects, and the Stirling Prize winner will be announced in October.
The RIBA Small Project of the Year is sponsored by Gaggenau and RIBA Building of the Year is sponsored by EH Smith. The Sustainability Award is sponsored by Autodesk.
If you are a member of the press seeking more information on the RIBA South Awards shortlist (including access to images) please email Eleanor Finlay.