The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) and the architects’ professional indemnity insurance mutual, The Wren Insurance Association Limited (the Wren), have today (23 March 2016) announced the launch of the 2016 RIBA Wren Insurance Association Scholarships to support talented students during the final year of their RIBA Part 2.
This year’s scholarships will be awarded at the start of the 2016/17 academic session and will comprise five generous awards, each of £5,000. The deadline for applications is Monday 9 May 2016.
The RIBA Wren Insurance Association Scholarships were set up in 2013 by the Wren who decided to mark their 25th anniversary as PII mutual with a £125,000 commitment to help educate young architects of the future. The awards will be awarded annually to Part 2 students enrolled in RIBA-validated schools of architecture in the UK.
RIBA President, Jane Duncan, said:
I would like to thank the Wren Insurance Association for their commitment and generosity to this scheme. Now in its fourth year, we are able to see the difference that this scheme makes to winning recipients in propelling them forwards in their careers. I am excited to see which talented students secure the scholarships this year, and wish all applicants luck with their applications."
Richard Pullen, Chairman of Wren, said:
"The impact of scholarships awarded over the past three years has well exceeded our expectations and we are anticipating even greater interest this fourth year as the Wren looks forward to helping a further five Part 2 students with this year’s scholarships. Having helped each other for nearly 30 years, the Members of the Wren feel that it is appropriate to assist and encourage the next generation of talented architects who have the potential to make a significant contribution to the field of architecture. We are grateful to the RIBA for their support in the ongoing success of these scholarships."
Applicants can find more information about last year’s award winners and how to apply for this year’s awards at www.architecture.com/wrenscholarships
Notes to editors:
- For further press information contact Callum Reilly in the RIBA Press Office: 020 7307 3757 firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information, visit www.architecture.com/wrenscholarships
- The Wren Insurance Association Limited is an architects’ professional indemnity insurance mutual that was set up in 1987 by a group of architects in order to provide the broadest sustainable cover to its Members. Fifty nine of the UK’s major architectural practices are currently in Membership www.wrenmutual.co.uk
- Having enjoyed 25 successful years the Wren decided to mark its quarter century by making available a scholarship fund to Part 2 students at a time when the cost of qualification can be overwhelming and the opportunity of being mentored by some of the world’s leading architectural firms is particularly welcome.
- Schools of architecture having produced past winners are: the Architectural Association, De Montfort University, Oxford Brookes University, Queen's University Belfast, the Royal College of Art, University College London, the University of Dundee, the University of Kent, the University of Liverpool, the University of Sheffield and the University of Westminster.
- The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) champions better buildings, communities and the environment through architecture and our members. www.architecture.com
- Follow us on Twitter for regular RIBA updates www.twitter.com/RIBA