Business Benchmarking 2018 Summary
Since the first survey in 2012, the number of RIBA Chartered Practices has increased from 2800 to approximately 3500 and revenue has doubled to £3.2bn (from £1.6bn).
- The value of International work has increased to £513m (from £498m in 2017)
- Asia (£140m) has taken over the Middle East (£104m in 2017) as being the most profitable source of work for UK-based architects
- EU work has increased to £118m (from £108m in 2017) – making it the second largest source of international work
Download the 2018 summary at the bottom of the page.
The annual RIBA Business Benchmarking survey provides vital business knowledge about how your practice compares to others across a broad spectrum of criteria. It allows you to identify areas of strength, weakness and opportunity.
The survey offers a truly in-depth evaluation of how well your practice is performing against the following criteria:
- marketing spend
- hourly rates
- client types and sectors.
Information provided to practices by the survey provides high-quality business intelligence that can inform many aspects of practice management.
The analysis gleaned from the survey is also an invaluable source of retrospective data to help shape the future of the profession.
All RIBA Chartered Practices benefit from and are required to complete the RIBA Business Benchmarking Survey by 31 July. Information is collected and analysed in complete confidence by our project partners at The Fees Bureau and MRM Solutions.
For some handy hints on completing the survey, see our Guidance notes below.
The Executive Summary for the 2018 Benchmarking survey is available below.
Watch the video below to see how to get the best out of the interactive RIBA Benchmark Tool.
What’s in the Benchmarking Tool?
- Improved survey navigation and guidance notes
- Improved/reconfigured RIBA Business Benchmarking Tool
- Direct and ongoing access to survey data
- Increased functionality to produce bespoke comparisons and reports
- Data that’s directly relevant to you and your practice
- Access to year on year data and trends
- No need to search through lengthy reports to find the information you need
If you are not yet an RIBA Chartered Practice and would like to take part in this year’s Benchmarking Survey, please telephone +44 (0)20 7307 3800 or email Membership Development.
For further information on the RIBA Business Benchmarking Survey, or to register your interest in participating, please contact us by email.