It’s important that organisations and managers know how to provide support for employees who are on their journey through menopause.
Raising awareness on this topic and reducing the stigma attached to it is vital so that open discussions can take place and inform the development of effective guidance and resources.
Menopause usually occurs between the ages of 45 and 55 - as an individual’s oestrogen levels decline.
According to the Chartered Institute for Professional Development (CIPD), women over 50, (ie. the majority of individuals who experience menopause) are the fastest growing demographic within the UK’s workforce.
59% of working women aged 45 to 55 say the menopause has had a negative impact on them at work. Impacting both attendance and performance, it’s clear this is not just an individual issue, but an organisational one.
As the average age of women RIBA Chartered Architects is 44, it’s important that as we develop guidance for our own organisation and the architecture profession, that we begin by listening and learning from individuals who have lived experience.
Open mic: the menopause
On 8 July 2021, we hosted Open mic: the menopause, the first in a series of events that explored menopausal symptoms, stigma, the support currently available and what's missing. View the video below to hear what our speakers had to say about managing menopause and available support.
Watch out for updates of our next event, planned for mid-October, looking at menopause policy in the workplace.
Auto-generated closed captioning is available on this video by clicking CC on the action bar.
Dr Louise Newson, GP and director of Newson Health Ltd.
Jenny Eclair, comedian, novelist and actress
Dr Annabel Sowemimo,Community Sexual and Reproductive Health registrar and founder of Decolonising Contraception
Host: Graci Choi, Director Grace Choi Architecture
- CIPD: Let’s talk menopause
- My Menopause Doctor, Dr Louise Newson
- Menopause whilst Black: podcasts by Karen Arthur
- Older and Wider podcast: Jenny Éclair and Judith Holder
- Megs Menopause
- Davina McCall: Sex, myths and the menopause
- CIPD: A guide to managing menopause at work
- National Innovation Centre: Aging
- XpertHR: How to support employees experiencing the menopause
- ACAS: Menopause at work guidance
- NHS: Menopause overview, symptoms, causes and treatments
- Age UK
- The Menopause Charity
- balance: Menopause support app
- Decolonising Contraception