The Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee has launched an inquiry into the use of modern methods of construction (MMC) to deliver new housing.
The inquiry will be looking at how national and local government can support the use of MMC and encourage innovation in the sector.
The RIBA's recommends that the UK government should:
- Change its procurement process to recognise the wider benefits of development and move away from a focus on best price
- Promote the use of Post Occupancy Evaluation
- Support the RIBA in promoting the importance of design in the built environment, which will be central to challenging existing negative public perceptions around the use of MMC
- Support SMEs by providing them with the required long-term certainty to increase investment in MMC
- Support the recommendations in the Letwin Review to subdivide large sites and create more variety in the housing market
- Work with the RIBA to develop skills in the sector and improve understanding of the potential benefits that MMC can deliver