About the workshop
Design Time: Nature structure (in-person workshop)
Tuesday 15 February 2022, 11am to 4pm
For children aged 11 to 14
Before humans even thought about existing, nature was off, creating structures and forms and finding ways to carve, chisel, mould, balance and build. But, how does the natural world inspire our architecture? Does nature offer shapes, forms and materials that architects can learn from? Should building materials have a relationship to the place a building is constructed? How have architects been inspired by?
Let’s find out.
In this in-person creative architecture workshop, we will find out about natural and man-made structures, as well as the ways in which natural forms and materials have influenced architecture in our towns and cities. Participants will investigate the properties of different natural materials, and the sensory experiences they afford. We will explore practical and creative ways of working with nature and use their ideas to inform a design for a new structure, inspired by nature.
This creative architecture workshop is led by educator Zoe Allen for children aged 11 to 14 years.
Participant information for Design Time at 66 Portland Place October 2021
With the return to in-person workshops, we are striving to make the learning spaces as safe as possible and will be limiting the number of participants at this time. We are delighted to welcome you back to 66 Portland Place, but will ask that you follow a few extra guidelines for the event:
- please do not attend if you have any symptoms associated with COVID-19, have had a positive coronavirus test or have been asked to self-isolate
- hand sanitiser stations are located throughout the building, please use these or wash hands regularly
- we will keep the room as well ventilated as possible by opening windows and doors, so please bring a jumper if the weather is a bit chilly
- maintain social distancing and wear a face covering (unless exempt) when moving around the building
- bring along a packed lunch and a drink (the café is not open at this time). We will be keeping the group together at lunch time and weather permitting we will be having our lunches on one of our outdoor terraces
- we ask that everybody arrives 10 minutes before the start time so that we can take the group up together. We may be checking temperatures as part of the checking in procedure
About the workshop series
Our Design Time (previously Design Day) workshops for ages 11 to 14 take architectural design a step further, by providing context and knowledge of the built environment to spark creativity.
Past workshops have focused on:
- different architectural styles
- small and large scale construction methods
- traditional and digital drawing techniques
- architectural games
- using software to design collaboratively in a shared space
All participants must arrive by 11am. These workshops are led by professional educators and all materials are included in the ticket price, but lunch is not provided.
If you're under 18, tickets must be booked by a parent or guardian. Online booking in advance is essential - if we do not receive full registration information in advance of the event, we cannot allow the participant to attend.
- £40 + booking fee
- £30 for participants who qualify for free school lunch. (Proof required)
To see other learning workshops taking place in this series, see our families and children page.