About the workshop
Design Time: Woven wonders (in-person workshop)
For children aged 11 to 14
Ever wondered how you could build a life size structure with only recycled and natural materials to hand? What are the benefits of using natural materials to create structures? How do architects and designers build pop-up places to be at one with nature?
Join us for this in-person creative architecture workshop, where we will explore 3D modelling and building techniques to create a woven architectural structure. Working individually, we will start off designing in miniature before scaling up our ideas. Then working to a design brief in groups using recycled newspaper, fabric and natural materials such as willow and bamboo, alongside recycled objects, we will create pop-up, life size structures to explore, visit and interact with.
This creative architecture workshop is led by educator Katie Kennedy for children aged 11 to 14 years old.
Participant information for Design Time at 66 Portland Place October 2021
With the return to in-person workshops, we are striving to make the learning spaces as safe as possible and will be limiting the number of participants at this time. We are delighted to welcome you back to 66 Portland Place, but will ask that you follow a few extra guidelines for the event:
- please do not attend if you have any symptoms associated with COVID-19, have had a positive coronavirus test or have been asked to self-isolate
- hand sanitiser stations are located throughout the building, please use these or wash hands regularly
- we will keep the room as well ventilated as possible by opening windows and doors, so please bring a jumper if the weather is a bit chilly
- maintain social distancing and wear a face covering (unless exempt) when moving around the building
- bring along a packed lunch and a drink (the café is not open at this time). We will be keeping the group together at lunch time and weather permitting we will be having our lunches on one of our outdoor terraces
- we ask that everybody arrives 10 minutes before the start time so that we can take the group up together. We may be checking temperatures as part of the checking in procedure
About the workshop series
Our Design Time (previously Design Day) workshops for ages 11 to 14 take architectural design a step further, by providing context and knowledge of the built environment to spark creativity.
Past workshops have focused on:
- different architectural styles
- small and large scale construction methods
- traditional and digital drawing techniques
- architectural games
- using software to design collaboratively in a shared space
All participants must arrive by 11am. These workshops are led by professional educators and all materials are included in the ticket price, but lunch is not provided.
If you're under 18, tickets must be booked by a parent or guardian. Online booking in advance is essential - if we do not receive full registration information in advance of the event, we cannot allow the participant to attend.
- £40 + booking fee
- £30 for participants who qualify for free school lunch. (Proof required)
To see other learning workshops taking place in this series, see our families and children page.