About the event
Family fun day: Out of the house
Saturday 23 October 2021, 11am to 4pm
Draw. Make. Build.
Get out of the house and come to the home of architecture for a day of fun for the entire family.
Join us at 66 Portland Place for a day of drawing, constructing and fun linked to the exhibitions celebrating 100 years of the Becontree Estate.
Programme of activities
Get into pargeting
Join educator Katie Kennedy to have a go at drawing into plaster. Find out about pargeting, the decorative plasterwork used on the outside of buildings in Essex and can be found on the Becontree Estate.
Estate of play
Join artist Daniel Wallis to create a community of dens. Make your very own mini house and add it to the play estate to grow throughout the day. Help make decisions on the surrounding area and create a new model society together.
Make yourself at home
Join the RIBA Learning team for stories staggered throughout the day and for a space to rest and play for little ones. Draw along to a story, read one of our favourites from Reading Architecture or take some time out to draw your own tale of architectural adventure.
Build it up
Take the opportunity to free build with Meccano and LEGO. Build high, build small, build whatever your heart desires.
Design your very own architectural emoji and add it to our display in reception.
Bringing Home to the Unknown, Regent's Park
Gather round and get creative at the vibrant pavilion designed by the young designers of Mayesbrook Park School in partnership with POoR Collective in Regents Park. Join architecture students Andrew Recchia and Aseela Amjad, for face painting or design your own places in the park.
Booking is essential, please book a timeslot.
To ensure your visit to the exhibition on the day, please book separately in advance.
Covid safety measures
We are excited to welcome you back to join us for in-person events again, we will be asking you to follow a few extra requirements to attend:
- all attendees over the age of 16 will be asked to complete a test, and track and trace before attending. A link will be emailed to you before the event
- please do not attend if you test positive for COVID-19 or feel unwell
- all staff will be wearing a mask or visor and we ask that adults wear a mask (unless exempt), while moving around the building
- please utilise the hand sanitiser stations available in the building
- we may check your temperature on entering the building
- we will be keeping the spaces well ventilated, so do bring a jumper