by Jonathan Hendry Architects
Client Bailgate Court Limited
Awards RIBA East Midlands Award 2021 and RIBA East Midlands Conservation Award 2021
Bailgate Court lies in the heart of Lincoln's historic centre, sitting in the shadow of the magnificent Lincoln cathedral.
Originally built in 1776 as Lincoln County Hospital, the Grade-II listed building was until the mid-1990’s Lincoln's Theological College. The project involved the conversion, extension and sensitive restoration into private residential apartments.
Most of the interior had to be stripped back to bare bones and rebuilt from scratch. The restoration has taken care to reinstate some of the original features, such as the main staircase, which had to be carefully dismantled, before being reconstructed to meet modern building regulations. Historic window openings have been refurbished with appropriate secondary glazing to be more efficient while not detracting from the original construction.
The main architectural feature was a bold but appropriate linking facade that tied together the various parts of the historic buildings. This was thoughtfully detailed, with an ornate banding and herringbone brickwork influenced by original details used on the facade of the Warden’s House. This sat well within its period surroundings, with the more contemporary top floor extension set back from the edge so that it remained invisible from street level.
Internally, the apartments had been cleverly laid out creating large, comfortable spaces within the historic structure. Where possible timber beams have been left exposed. The considered blending of new and old helps the extensions sit together with the original structures as one entity. Most units have some outdoor space and large roof terraces have been created to the penthouse flats providing a spectacular view of the cathedral.
Internal area 2,620.00 m²
Contractor LCT Properties
Structural Engineer Ellis & Moore
Heritage & Planning Consultant Locus Consulting
Environmental & Ecological Consultant CBE Consulting