RIBA concise building contract
The RIBA concise building contract is an agreement between the client and the contractor. It can be used on all types of commercial building works in both the private and public sectors.
Buy a concise building contract
It is legally advisable that both parties to the contract each have an original signed version.
You will need to buy two paper copies.
Please note: From 10 January 2022, prices will be:
- Digital contracts from £22.50 plus VAT
- Paper contracts from £35 plus VAT
RIBA Chartered Practices get 50% off digital contracts. You can print multiple times at no extra cost.
- For work between a client and contractor for domestic work, use the RIBA domestic building contract
The RIBA domestic building contract has been specifically written to integrate with the RIBA suite of professional services contracts.
- Written in plain English that is simple to understand
- Fair and equitable terms for all parties
- Facilitates good management of the project from start to completion
- Allows effective collaboration between the employer and contractor
- Gives control over the timely completion of the building project
- Allows the contractor to design parts of the building project
- Collaboration provisions: advance warnings, joint resolution of delay, proposals for improvements and cost savings
- Includes optional provisions dealing with official secrets, transparency, discrimination and bribery as normally required by public sector clients
- Flexible payment options
- Provision for contractor design, with ‘fit for purpose’ liability option
- Optional provisions for a contractor programme
- Optional provisions for client-selected suppliers and sub-contractors
- Mechanisms for dealing with changes to the project which allow for agreement and include specified timescales
- Option for commencement and completion in stages
- Terms compliant with the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999
- Guidance notes on use and completion are included