RIBA domestic building contract
Endorsed and supported by the HomeOwners Alliance, the RIBA domestic building contract is an agreement between the client and the contractor. It can be used on all domestic projects on the client's home, including renovations extensions, maintenance and new buildings.
Buy a domestic building contract
It is legally advisable that both parties to the contract each have an original signed version.
You will need to buy two paper copies.
RIBA Chartered Practices get 50% off digital contracts. You can print multiple times at no extra cost.
Review the specimen copy of this contract.
- For work between a client and contractor for commercial work, use the RIBA concise building contract
The RIBA domestic building contract has been specifically written to integrate with the RIBA suite of professional services contracts.
- Written in plain English that is simple to understand
- Guidance notes to help complete the contract
- Provides an effective way of managing payments to the contractor
- Gives you control over the timely completion of the project
- Provisions for collaborating with the contractor over events that may delay completion or add costs to the project
- Collaboration provisions: advance warnings, joint resolution of delay, proposals for improvements and cost savings
- Flexible payment options
- Provision for contractor design, with ‘fit for purpose’ liability option
- Optional provisions for a contractor programme
- Optional provisions for client-selected suppliers and sub-contractors
- Mechanisms for dealing with changes to the project which allow for agreement and include specified timescales
- Option for commencement and completion in stages
- Terms compliant with the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999
- Guidance notes on use and completion are included