Understanding the RIBA CPD core curriculum
As a RIBA Chartered Member, you need to undertake and record at least 35 hours of continuing professional development (CPD) every year.
You need to get at least 20 of these 35 hours from the ten mandatory RIBA core curriculum CPD topics. This CPD can be structured or informal, and come from any source.
The ten topics have been defined in response to the skills our members need to practice architecture now and in the future. The topics are:
- Architecture for social purpose
- Health, safety and wellbeing
- Business, clients and services
- Legal, regulatory and statutory compliance
- Procurement and contracts
- Sustainable architecture
- Inclusive environments
- Places, planning and communities
- Building conservation and heritage
- Design, construction and technology
The RIBA CPD Core Curriculum is accompanied by an extensive CPD primer (PDF), which provides context for each of the ten topics. It acts as a suggested framework of target issues for each topic. While the primer is comprehensive, it is not exclusive: you are encouraged to engage with the topics in a way that suits your needs best.