Your CPD obligations as a RIBA Member
All RIBA Chartered Members everywhere are required to undertake and record CPD each year as evidence that you are taking organised steps to maintain your competence through continuous learning.
There are five key areas you need to consider in order to meet your CPD obligations, including:
- undertaking at least 35 hours of relevant learning each year
- making sure half of your CPD is structured, whether this is a face to face course or online (where possible)
- spending at least 20 of the 35 hours on the 10 mandatory RIBA Core Curriculum CPD topics (two hours per topic per year)
- acquiring at least 100 learning points, reflecting your own assessment of what you got out of the activity
- recording and keeping track of your CPD activities using the RIBA online CPD recording tool
Our CPD quick guide answers some common questions regarding CPD for international members, members on maternity leave, retired, academics, and other circumstances.
What counts as CPD?
We offer face-to-face and digital CPD, either delivered by RIBA on RIBA Academy or accredited by RIBA through the CPD Providers Network. However, CPD doesn't have to come from, be accredited by, or approved by the RIBA to count.
Any relevant structured or informal learning from any source can count towards your 35 hour requirement (and your core requirement). If you think that a learning activity is relevant to you for whatever role you are doing, then it counts as CPD. The choice is entirely yours and we are unable to advise whether something counts.
Your CPD choices are entirely flexible and personal. While we expect you to meet our requirements, the CPD you choose should be tailored to your own needs or that of your practice or business, can be structured or informal, should reflect the statutory and regulatory rules wherever in the world you practice, and can come from any source (such as other professional bodies around the world.)
Auditing and proof
The RIBA regularly audits member records on our online recording platform to check compliance. We are unable to accept alternative forms of records or proof.
We don't ask for, expect to see, or oblige you to acquire attendance or CPD certificates.
If you have any questions on how to fulfil your CPD requirements, please contact the CPD team.