IMPORTANT Website terms of use and cookie statement

Join the RIBA Conservation Register

The Conservation Register has three tiers of specialism, open to any architects registered with ARB UK.

To be a Specialist Conservation Architect (SCA), you need an authoritative knowledge of conservation practice and extensive experience of working with historic buildings.

To be a Conservation Architect (CA), you need in-depth knowledge and experience of working with historic buildings.

A Conservation Registrant (CR) has an awareness of the issues involved in working with historic buildings. This level is not accredited, but is for people who intend to progress in the field of conservation. To be a Conservation Registrant, you need to have attended a conservation course approved by RIBA. Find out more about these courses.

Reaccreditation is required for all three levels every five years. You can apply for reaccreditation using our form.

How to apply

For SCA and CA applicants, the next application round will open on 1 January 2024 and closes on 31 March 2024. Applications to join at a CR level can be made at any time.

If you're interested in applying, please complete an application form. Please note that if you're applying for the CR level, you must make payment of both the registration and the application fee.

Review process

The assessment panel reviews applications for CA and SCA levels. Two members of the Assessment Panel assess every CA and SCA application, with a wider group of assessors of up to 20 people discussing, moderating and endorsing the recommendation.

The outcome of the applications is communicated to the applicants approximately 8 weeks after the application deadline.

Further information

For more information about your application, contact the RIBA Conservation Register team.

keyboard_arrow_up To top