RIBA Future Architects student mentoring scheme
Every year, RIBA facilitates a mentoring programme for students of architecture, bringing practices into education to support the next generation. Each academic year, around 1,000 mentees and 500 mentors take part in the scheme.
For architects, this is an opportunity to connect to schools of architecture and showcase your organisation. The programme is also eligible for CPD points. For students, this is a great way to gain invaluable experience and insight into the profession, build your CV and access practical advice.
I'm an architecture student, how can I take part?
If you are a RIBA Student Member studying in England or Wales, or have recently applied for your RIBA Student Membership, then you will be eligible for this programme if your school and year group are taking part.
The programme is run in partnership with schools of architecture across England and Wales. Each school of architecture offers mentoring to a different year group so please check below to find out if your year group is taking part.
For students, mentoring is a great way to gain invaluable experience and insight into the profession, preparing them for life in architectural practice.
Generally, the programme consists of an initial meet and greet session followed by three sessions (approx. two hours per session) with your architect mentor. This year the mentoring sessions will be run online, face to face, or hybrid.
As a mentee you will:
- be introduced to life in practice and gain practical advice on working as an architect
- have the opportunity to reflect on your goals and direction
- develop key skills and access one to one support
- gain advice and guidance on future employment and after successful completion of the scheme, receive a reference for CV inclusion
Mentoring will take place across the 2022/23 academic year with different start/end times for universities. Applicants will be contacted in advance of your relevant semester with further details and timescales.
Registration for 2022/23 is now open.
How do I become a mentor?
If you are an architect working at a RIBA Chartered Practice and/or are a RIBA Chartered Member then you are eligible to mentor on this programme.
This year all mentoring sessions will run online, face to face, or hybrid. Please note that you will still be able to work with multiple students as before, just let us know your preference so we can match you with mentees that have the same preferences.
As a mentor you will:
- introduce students to the realities of practice, so that they’re well-prepared for their year out
- help them to think about their future career direction
- give mentored students support and guidance from someone more experienced
Registration for 2022/23 is now open.
Participating schools of architecture
Mentoring is available for Part 1 Year 3 students, unless stated as Year 2.
List of participating schools and year groups for 2022:
- University of Bath - Year 2
- Birmingham City University
- UWE Bristol
- University of Brighton
- University for the Creative Arts, Canterbury
- Welsh School of Architecture, Cardiff University
- Coventry University
- Falmouth University
- University of Hertfordshire
- University of Huddersfield
- University of Kent
- Leeds Beckett University
- Leicester De Montfort University
- University of the Arts (Central St Martins), London
- University College London The Bartlett
- University of East London
- University of Greenwich, London
- Kingston University - Year 2
- Ravensbourne University, London - Year 2
- University of Westminster, London
- University of Lincoln
- University of Liverpool - Year 2
- Liverpool John Moores University
- London South Bank University
- Loughborough University - Year 2
- Manchester School of Architecture - Year 2
- Newcastle University - Year 2
- Northumbria University - Year 2
- University of Nottingham
- Nottingham Trent University
- Oxford Brookes University
- University of Central Lancashire, Preston
- University of Plymouth
- University of Portsmouth
- University of Reading
- University of Salford
- University of Sheffield - Year 2
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Wales Trinity Saint David
- Wolverhampton University
Want to know more?
For more information on mentoring at a particular school, please get in touch with the relevant regional contact below:
- East: firstname.lastname@example.org
- East Midlands: email@example.com
- London: firstname.lastname@example.org
- North East: email@example.com
- North West: firstname.lastname@example.org
- South/South East: email@example.com
- South West: firstname.lastname@example.org
- West Midlands: email@example.com
- Yorkshire: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Royal Society of Architects in Wales (RSAW): email@example.com
Student mentoring is available through RIBA Future Architects: our community for future and emerging architects, designed to support, inspire and provide a voice as you transition from study to practice. Join us as a RIBA Student Member or view our Future Architects resource page.