RIBA Future Architects student mentoring scheme
Every year RIBA facilitates a mentoring programme for students of architecture, bringing practices into education to support the next generation. Each academic year, around 1,000 mentees and 500 mentors take part in the scheme.
For architects, this is an opportunity to connect to schools of architecture and showcase your organisation. The programme is also eligible for CPD points. For students, this is a great way to gain invaluable experience and insight into the profession, build your CV and access practical advice.
How do I become a mentee?
If you are a RIBA Student Member studying in England or Wales, or have recently applied for your RIBA Student Membership, then you are eligible for this programme.
This year mentoring sessions will run online, allowing mentors to work with multiple students where they can and allowing for a safe and accessible experience for all.
As a mentee you will:
- be introduced to life in practice and gain practical advice on working as an architect
- have the opportunity to reflect on your goals and direction
- develop key skills and access one to one support
- gain advice and guidance on future employment and after successful completion of the scheme, receive a reference for CV inclusion
The programme is run in partnership with schools of architecture across England and Wales. Each School of Architecture offers mentoring to a different year group so please check the list below to find out whether your year group is taking part.
Mentoring will take place across the autumn or spring semester depending on the university.
To register your interest please complete our registration form.
How do I become a mentor?
If you are an architect working at a RIBA Chartered Practice and/or are a RIBA Chartered Member then you are eligible to mentor on this programme.
Generally, the programme consists of an initial meet and greet session followed by three sessions with your mentees. This year all mentoring sessions will run online, allowing mentors to work with multiple students where they can.
As a mentor you will:
- introduce students to the realities of practice, so that they’re well-prepared for their year out
- help them to think about their future career direction
- give mentored students support and guidance from someone more experienced
To register your interest in becoming a RIBA Mentor, please complete the registration form.
Participating schools of architecture
Mentoring is available for Part 1 Year 3 students, unless stated as Year 2.
List of participating schools and year groups for 2021:
- University of Bath - Year 2
- Birmingham City University
- UWE Bristol
- University of Brighton
- University for the Creative Arts, Canterbury
- Welsh School of Architecture, Cardiff University
- Coventry University
- Falmouth University
- University of Hertfordshire
- University of Huddersfield
- Hull College
- University of Kent
- University of Leeds
- Leicester De Montfort University
- University of the Arts (Central St Martins), London
- University College London The Bartlett
- University of East London
- University of Greenwich, London
- Kingston University - Year 2
- Ravensbourne University, London - Year 2
- University of Westminster, London
- University of Lincoln
- University of Liverpool - Year 2
- Liverpool John Moores University
- Loughborough University - Year 2
- Manchester School of Architecture - Year 2
- Newcastle University - Year 2
- Northumbria University - Year 2
- University of Nottingham
- Nottingham Trent University
- Oxford Brookes University
- University of Central Lancashire, Preston
- University of Plymouth
- University of Portsmouth
- University of Reading
- University of Salford
- University of Sheffield - Year 2
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Wales Trinity Saint David
- Wolverhampton University
Want to know more?
For more information on mentoring at a particular school, please get in touch with the relevant contact below:
- East: email@example.com
- East Midlands: Cecilia Godoy
- London: firstname.lastname@example.org
- North East: Amy Tomlinson
- North West: email@example.com
- South/South East: Jenny Peterson
- South West: Amanda Barlow
- West Midlands: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yorkshire: Claire Young
- Royal Society of Architects in Wales: Bethan Proctor
Student mentoring is available through RIBA Future Architects: our community for future and emerging architects, designed to support, inspire and provide a voice as you transition from study to practice. Join us as a RIBA Student Member or view our resources here.