RIBA Future Architects student mentoring scheme
Every year RIBA facilitates a mentoring programme for students of architecture, bringing practices into education to support the next generation. Each academic year, around 1,000 mentees and 500 mentors take part in the scheme.
For architects, this is an opportunity to connect to Schools of Architecture and showcase your organisation. The programme is also eligible for CPD points. For students, this is a great way to gain experience and insight into the profession, build your CV and access practical advice.
How do I become a mentee?
If you are a RIBA Student Member studying in the UK, or have recently applied for your RIBA Student Membership, then you are eligible for this programme.
This year all mentoring sessions will run online.
As a mentee you will:
- Be introduced to life in practice and gain practical advice on working as an architect
- Have the opportunity to reflect on your goals and direction
- Develop key skills and access one to one support
- Gain advice and guidance on future employment and after successful completion of the scheme, receive a reference for CV inclusion
The programme is run in partnership with Schools of Architecture. Each School of Architecture offers mentoring to a different year group so please check the list below to find out whether your year group is taking part.
To register your interest to take part in the RIBA Future Architects Mentoring Scheme, complete the registration form.
How do I become a mentor?
If you are an architect working at a RIBA Chartered Practice and/or are a RIBA Chartered Member then you are eligible to mentor on this programme.
Generally, the programme consists of an initial meet and greet session followed by two to three sessions with your mentees. This year all mentoring sessions will run online, allowing mentors to work with multiple students where they can.
As a mentor you will:
- Introduce students to the realities of practice, so that they’re well-prepared for their year out
- Help them to think about their future career direction
- Give mentored students support and guidance from someone more experienced
To register your interest in becoming a RIBA Student Mentor, complete the registration form.
Want to know more?
For more information on mentoring at a particular school, get in touch with the contact for mentoring in your RIBA regional office:
- East: email@example.com
- East Midlands: Cecilia Godoy
- London: Jennifer Killick
- North East: Amy Tomlinson
- North West: firstname.lastname@example.org
- South/South East: Jenny Peterson
- South West: Amanda Barlow
- West Midlands: Khy Khan
- Yorkshire: Claire Young
- Royal Society of Architects in Wales: Bethan Proctor
List of participating schools and year groups:
- Anglia Ruskin University, Chelmsford - Year 3
- Birmingham City University - Year 3
- Coventry University - Year 3
- De Montfort University - Year 3
- Falmouth University - Year 3
- Kingston University - Year 2
- Liverpool John Moores University - Year 3
- Loughborough University - Year 2
- Newcastle University - Year 2
- Northumbria University - Year 2
- Nottingham Trent University - Year 3
- Oxford Brookes University - Year 3
- Ravensbourne - Year 2
- The University of East London - Year 3
- The University of Huddersfield - Year 3
- The University of Westminster - Year 3
- University of the Arts (Central St Martins) - Year 3
- University of Bath - Year 2
- University of Brighton - Year 3
- University of Cambridge - Year 3
- University of Central Lancashire - Year 2
- University College London The Bartlett - Year 3
- University for the Creative Arts, Canterbury - Year 3
- University of Greenwich - Year 3
- University of Hertfordshire - Year 3
- University of Kent - Year 3
- University of Lincoln - Year 3
- University of Liverpool - Year 2
- University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University - Year 2
- University of Nottingham - Year 3
- University of Plymouth - Year 3
- University of Reading - Year 3
- University of Salford - Year 3
- University of Sheffield - Year 2
- University of Wales Trinity Saint David - Year 3
- University of the West of England (UWE) Bristol - Year 3
- Welsh School of Architecture, Cardiff University - Year 3
- Wolverhampton University - Year 3
Student mentoring is available through RIBA Future Architects: our network and community for future and emerging architects, designed to support, inspire and provide a voice as you transition from study to practice. View our resources.