About the course
Skill Up: Celebrating architecture (in-person workshop)
Friday 29 October 2021, 11am to 4pm
For young people aged 15 to 18
The Becontree Estate in east London is celebrating 100 years since it was first built, but why are we celebrating houses that are 100 years old?
Using the exhibitions on display at RIBA participants will develop a toolkit to allow for recording important elements of various architecture and how it develops and evolves over time by those that use it. The session will respond to the visual and functional elements of architecture and how it impacts the communities living there. You will work individually and, in a group, using drawing, collage and iPads to examine how and why we celebrate architecture now and in the future.
This creative architecture workshop is led by artist educator Daniel Wallis for young people aged 15 to 18 years.
Participant information for Skill Up at 66 Portland Place October 2021
With the return to in-person workshops, we are striving to make the learning spaces as safe as possible and will be limiting the number of participants at this time. We are delighted to welcome you back to 66 Portland Place, but will ask that you follow a few extra guidelines for the event:
- please do not attend if you have any symptoms associated with COVID-19, have had a positive coronavirus test or have been asked to self isolate
- we will be asking participants over the age of 16 to take a lateral flow test within 48 hours of attending the workshop and be sent through a link to pre-register for track and trace
- hand sanitiser stations are located throughout the building, please use these or wash hands regularly
- we will keep the room as well ventilated as possible by opening windows and doors, so please bring a jumper if the weather is a bit chilly
- maintain social distancing and wear a face covering (unless exempt) when moving around the building
- bring along a packed lunch and a drink (the café is not open at this time). We will be keeping the group together at lunchtime and weather permitting we will be having our lunches on one of our outdoor terraces
- we ask that everybody arrives 10 minutes before the start time so that we can take the group up together. We may be checking temperatures as part of the checking in procedure
About the workshop series
Our workshops and courses for ages 15 to 18 "skill up" teenagers who are thinking about studying architecture or design. Participants think critically, share their views on architecture and express themselves through creative practice. In past workshops, participants have learned how to work to an architectural brief, improve portfolios, develop architectural drawing skills using a variety of media (including digital drawing on iPads) and photography skills, and work individually and collaboratively to think about how to design sustainable and responsible architecture.
Based in London, mainly our HQ at 66 Portland Place, all participants must arrive by 11am. These workshops are led by professional educators and all materials are included in the ticket price, but lunch is not provided.
If you're under 18, tickets must be booked by a parent or guardian. Online booking in advance is essential and if we do not receive full registration information in advance of the event we cannot allow the participant to attend.
- £40 + booking fee
- £30 for participants who qualify for free school lunch. (Proof required)
To see other learning workshops taking place in this series, see our young people page.