20 buildings awarded RIBA International Awards for Excellence 2018
The 2018 RIBA Awards for International Excellence have been awarded to 20 exceptional new buildings in 16 countries, ranging from large urban infrastructure schemes to private homes; cultural destinations to civic spaces; educational buildings to places of worship.
In addition, Gustavo Utrabo and Pedro Duschenes, founders of Brazilian firm Aleph Zero, are the recipients of the RIBA International Emerging Architect 2018 for their project, the Children’s Village in Formoso do Araguaia, Brazil, designed with Rosenbaum. The Children’s Village provides boarding accommodation for 540 senior school children at the Canuanã School.
The 20 winning projects announced today form the longlist for the RIBA International Prize 2018. The shortlist of four buildings will be announced in September 2018 and the winner will be awarded in November 2018 to the most significant and inspirational building of the year. The winning project will exemplify design excellence, architectural ambition and deliver meaningful social impact. The RIBA International Prize is open to any qualified architect in the world.
The 20 winners of RIBA International Awards for Excellence 2018 are:
- The Ancient Church of Vilanova de la Barca, Spain by AleaOlea architecture & landscape
- Audain Art Museum, Whistler, Canada by Patkau Architects
- BBVA Bancomer Tower, Mexico City by LegoRogers (Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners and Legorreta + Legorreta)
- Buendner Kunstmuseum, Chur, Switzerland by Barozzi Veiga
- Captain Kelly's Cottage, Tasmania, Australia by John Wardle Architects
- Central European University - Phase 1, Budapest, Hungary by O'Donnell + Tuomey
- Children's Village, Formoso do Araguaia, Brazil by Rosenbaum + Aleph Zero (also awarded RIBA International Emerging Architect)
- Lanka Learning Center, Eastern Province, Sri Lanka by feat.collective
- M4 Metro Line, Budapest, Hungary by FŐMTERV-PALATIUM-UVATERV (Consortium with Budapesti Építőművészet Műhely, Gelesz és Lenzsér, Puhl és Dajka, sporaarchitects and VPI Studio)
- Mount Herzl Memorial Hall, Israel by Kimmel Eshkolot Architects in collaboration with Kalush Chechick Architects
- Musee d'arts de Nantes, France by Stanton Williams
- Museum Voorlinden, Wassenaar, Netherlands by Kraaijvanger Architects
- Sancaklar Mosque, Istanbul, Turkey by EAA-Emre Arolat Architecture
- Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, Athens, Greece by Renzo Piano Building Workshop & Betaplan
- Studio Dwelling at Rajagiriya, Colombo, Sri Lanka by Palinda Kannangara Architects
- Tatsumi Apartment House, Tokyo, Japan by Hiroyuki Ito Architects
- Toho Gakuen School of Music, Tokyo, Japan by NIKKEN SEKKEI
- University of Amsterdam, Netherlands by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
- Vertical Forest, Milan, Italy by Boeri Studio (Stefano Boeri, Gianandrea Barreca, Giovanni La Varra)
- Xiao Jing Wan University, Shenzhen, China by Foster + Partners with GDI
Explore the award winning projects and keep up to date with the latest news about the RIBA International Prize.